Features at a Glance
New! Progressive® Insurance Boat School Booth 1600
An educated boater is a safe boater Boost your boating IQ! Learn the fundamentals of boating safety and have fun. Top-notch mariners from the Annapolis School of Seamanship will be on deck to lead an array of interactive “courses” including general boating safety seminars, proper docking procedures, a boating simulator experience, and tips and tricks to help ensure your safety on the water. It’s enjoyable and educational for the whole family!
- Gateway to Boating Get an overview of the styles and types of boats and how they fit the boating lifestyle you choose.
- Watersports Safety Seminar Gain the know-how you need to keep everyone on your boat —and on the water—safe, and ensure every outing is fun and enjoyable.
- iNavigation: Learn how to use the resources available to modern boaters—from traditional compass and paper charts, to onboard electronics, to tablets such as the Apple iPad® to stay safe and have fun on the water.
- Boat Systems: Learn how to manage your boats systems from stem to stern.
- Docking & Line Handling: Does docking cause you stress? Let us “show you the ropes” with tricks, and techniques that can make docking easy.
- 10 Steps to Becoming a Good Gilligan: Even on a three-hour tour, a good first mate is key to a great day on the water. This sessions covers the skills you need as a first mate.
Stop by the Progressive® Insurance Welcome Center or Progressive Insurance Boat School for more information.
Meet Captain Dave Carraro from National Geographic Channel's Wicked Tuna
Dave Carraro is the fiercely competitive captain of the FV-Tuna.com on National Geographic Channel’s smash hit show Wicked Tuna. Dave holds a U.S.C.G 100-ton Master License and has an invaluable 32 years experience with Gloucester Fishing Charters. Dave began fishing with his dad as a kid and has done so almost every day for the past 33 years!
Friday, February 20: 1pm–3pm & 5pm–7pm
Saturday, February 21: 11am–1pm & 3pm–5pm
Sunday, February 22: Noon–2pm
Discover Boating Center, Booth # 2402
See the ALL-NEW Miss GEICO Racing Boat
The new Miss GEICO is a 50-ft. Victory catamaran made of carbon/kevlar. At approximately 11,000 pounds, she is almost 1,500 pounds lighter than her predecessor and is equal in length. She has a 12-ft. beam, which is 6-ft. wider than the former boat; the extra width will allow her to ride smoother at faster rates of speed.
Powered by 1075 Mercury racing engines, she currently has a top speed of 170mph. Off-season plans include replacing these engines with a set of 1500 HP piston racing engines which will enable Miss GEICO to reach a top speed in excess of 200 mph!
Fred’s Shed Interactive Learning Center
Watch, learn and do! If you’re a do-it-yourselfer or boat owner interested in learning new techniques for taking care of your boat or motor, head to Fred’s Shed for practical, professional advice. Free daily sessions cover a variety of topics, including keeping your boat “ship shape”, choosing and installing marine electronics and maintaining gas engines.
Watch certified marine technician and expert wrench slinger “Fred” demo tools and techniques on actual boat and motor cutaways.
Learn how to maintain, repair or upgrade your boat or motor.
Do take part in discussions, ask questions and participate in hands-on clinics
Together, “The Boating Guy” and certified marine service technician “Fred, The Outboard Doctor” bring more than 50 years of boating and “wrench-slinging” experience to the Shed.
Click Here for a complete seminar listing.
New this year—Fred’s Shed DIY Guidebook Seminar attendees will receive the Fred’s Shed DIY Guidebook, featuring export advice and how-to articles from Boating magazine.
Meet Gene Ellison— “The Fishing Machine"
Saturday & Sunday, February 14 & 15, at 11:00 am in Room 156
Have you ever wondered how professional anglers find fish so quickly on lakes they have never fished before? Do you want to learn how to quickly and easily turn your gps and sonar units into fish finding tools? Well then come meet Humminbird and Minn Kota professional angler Gene Ellison “The Fishing Machine.” Gene is a Massachusetts native and competitor on the FLW and BASS Open Tournament Trails. Gene will be sharing a dynamic Power Point seminar entitled “Finding Fish with Today’s Electronics.” You’ll learn how to find fish from home; why the 8-10 foot depth zone is so important; and which tactics to employ each day to quickly find and catch winning fish. Gene is one of the countries most dynamic and effective presenters and you won’t want to miss this.
New to Boating? Welcome to the Water! Booth 2402
Interested in powerboating? Want to get started in sailing? Set your course for Booth 1805. Our Discover Boating Center will help you learn how to get off the dock and onto the water. Stop by for:
- Straightforward answers to all your boating questions
- Unbiased advice on choosing a boat that suits your lifestyle and your budget
- Information you can trust and local resources to help you get started
Boating on a Budget?
When it comes to enjoyable ways to spend your leisure time, boating is probably far more affodable than you realize. Be sure to check out our showcases of budget-friendly power- and sailboats you can finance for less that $250 per month.